Winter is Coming
The winter season is quickly approaching and cold temperatures will soon be here. So if you haven't started thinking about winterizing your home yet, there is no time like the present to prevent frozen and busted pipes. Over 250,000 homes in the United States suffer a loss every winter by water pipes freezing and breaking. In the last decade alone, losses due to frozen pipe damage in the US have exceeded $4 billion in damages; nearly all of which is preventable.
Preventing frozen pipes and subsequent water damage is as easy as taking a few simple precautionary measures to ensure that freezing temperatures outside aren't invading your household:
- Make sure all areas where pipes run through your home are well insulated (most insulation lasts a lifetime, but may sometimes need to be layered)
- Wrap and insulate any and all exposed pipes (pipe foam can be found at almost any hardware store)
- Caulk any foundation cracks that may allow air to slip inside
- Replace your furnace filter
- Winterize your AC unit
Not only will these precautions help prevent your home from suffering damage due to a busted, frozen pipe, but every single one will save you money in energy costs too. However, should you find yourself in a jam due to unexpected pipe damages this upcoming winter season, SERVPRO has your back.
SERVPRO of Voorhees/Haddon Heights provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster. We can respond immediately to your storm-related issues in your home or business. Our team has the expertise to handle your storm damage needs.
- 24 -Hour Emergency Service
- Highly Trained Technicians
- Specialized Remediation Equipment
SERVPRO of Voorhees/Haddon Heights understands the stress and worry that comes with emergency damage and the disruption it causes your life. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it "Like it never even happened."
Have Questions? Call Us Today 856-566-3388
Sick Facts About Mold
Basement wall covered in mold; Voorhees, NJ.
While is extremely difficult to say definitively the amount of homes in the US that have mold infestation, studies done have found evidence supporting that an estimated 50-70% of American households carry water damage and mold. This is no small matter as people who are exposed to mold are 30% to 50% more at risk of asthma and a multitude of respiratory infections. Even short-term mold exposure can have severe effects on ones body. In many cases of exposure there have been symptoms of sinus inflammation and irritation, nausea, asthma flare-ups, headaches, and even skin infections.
These health issues caused by exposure to the bio-toxins produced by mold are the reason why any evidence of mold damage should be acted upon immediately. While some people don't see the effects of mold exposure happen to their own bodies, a large majority of people are still susceptible to its effects. When mold is identified it is important to remove it quickly and safely.
SERVPRO of Voorhees/Haddon Heights provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Mays Landing. We can respond immediately to your Mold related issues in your home or business. Our team has the expertise to handle your Mold Remediation needs.
- 24 -Hour Emergency Service
- State of the Art Equipment
- Highly Trained Mold Remediation Technicians
- Specialized Mold Remediation Equipment
SERVPRO of Voorhees/Haddon Heights understands the stress and worry that comes with a fire, water or mold damage and the disruption it causes your life and home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it "Like it never even happened."
Have Questions? Call Us Today 856-566-3388
Will you be prepared in the event of an emergency?
Did you know as many as 50% of businesses may never reopen after suffering a disaster? This is largely due to the fact that they did not have a plan in place in case of an emergency. Here at SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees, we offer a free Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) assessment for your facility. This includes a variety of disaster readiness features, including: an app for your phone, shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and identifying the line of command for authorizing work to begin, all of which will help save you time and money in the event of a disaster. You can begin the process by visiting our website at: https://ready.SERVPRO.com/home/index or by calling us directly at 856-566-3388.
“When damage strikes, you can be ruined or you can be ready.”
Mold Prevention Tips
Mold is a nuisance that can occur in any home, especially during the hot and humid summer months. Here are 9 ways to help prevent harmful mold from growing inside your home.
- Locate any possible problem areas: Anywhere in your home where moisture may gather and sit for a period of time could be considered a problem area. These are the areas where mold thrives, so identify them.
- Dry wet areas immediately: Mold cannot grow without moisture. So, dry any and all areas previously determined to be problem areas as soon as possible to stop mold from growing.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation: Activities as simple as cooking dinner or taking a shower can promote mold growth without the proper ventilation. Make sure that all vents are working properly and even crack a window open from time to time.
- Use mold-resistant products when possible: When building a new home or renovation a new one, use mold-resistant drywall and mold inhibiting paints to slow the growth of mold.
- Keep an eye on your indoor humidity: The Environmental Protection Agency recommends keeping your indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent. If you notice condensation on any pipes or windows inside your home, dry the area and address the source of the humidity.
- Direct Water away from your home: Ensure that the ground around the foundation of your home slopes away so that water does not collect around the base and seem into the home.
- Clean or repair roof gutters: Mold could potentially be coming from a leaky roof spurred by full or damaged gutters. Clean them and be aware of any water stains that might be the result of a flaw.
- Improve air flow in your home: Open doors between rooms and move furniture away from walls. Cold air cannot hold as much moisture and that moisture may collect on walls or other surfaces. If air is moving it becomes more difficult.
- Keep mold off household plants: Moist soil in household plants is a perfect place for mold to grow. Add Taheebo tea to any water you use to water your plants. This oil resists mold even in rainforests.
If you think you have a mold problem call SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees for a free inspection and estimate at 856-566-3388.
Common Misconceptions about Cleaning Mold
Mold and mildew cleanups can be a costly job. Many people feel that the cost to properly remove mold and mildew is too high to hire somebody else, so they take it upon themselves to remove it. While it is true that mold removal specialists can be more costly than a homemade remedy in the short term, it is important to remember that professionals can remove the mold and ensure that it remains removed. The long term benefits of professional mold removal by SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees could end up saving you a significant amount of money and headaches (literally!).
However, if you are still inclined to try removing mold on your own, here are some things to avoid when doing so.
- Seeing isn’t always believing: Just because you can’t see the mold anymore does not mean it isn’t there. Mold is often microscopic, and therefore capable of growing again in the exact same spot you just cleaned and even spreading farther around the building.
- Bleach be gone! (maybe not): While bleach is a powerful cleaner and largely effective tool when it comes to mold removal, it cannot do it all. Use an antibacterial cleanser to perform a mop up in order to maximize bleach’s effectiveness.
- Out of sight, out of mind : Painting over a mold spot with mold resistant paint does not have any effect on the mold itself. All it does is provide a cover for the mold, much like sweeping dirt under the carpet. Sure, it will look better, but the mold will still have adverse health effects on you.
- Dress appropriately: Mold spores can be released by the slightest touch so be sure to wear protective clothing including gloves, protective layers, and a respirator.
Call SERVPRO of Haddon Heights/Vorhees at 856-566-3388 for a free inspection/estimate on your mold problem, and let us make your home look and feel “Like it never even happened.”
Hidden Damages Associated with Fire Losses
A firefighters hose, while saving your home from being burnt down, can inadvertently cause damage of a different kind: water damage.
Hidden damages associated with fire losses.
Along with the obvious damage cause by the flames of a fire loss, there are often hidden damages that SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees are professionally trained to handle. Those damages can include, but are not limited to, smoke damage/odor and water damage from firefighter hoses or fire extinguishers.
SERVPRO® offers the following 7 step process to restore your home or business to the way it was before the loss:
- Emergency Contact
- Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
- Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
- Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
- Cleaning and Repair
To find out more, visit http://www.SERVPROhaddonheightsvoorhees.com/fire-repair-process or call us at 856-566-3388.
Summer Grilling Safety Tips
Summer has finally arrived, which means it’s time to head outside and fire up the grill. With June and July being peak months for grilling fires, we at SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees wanted to remind everybody to be safe while enjoying the BBQ. Here are some safety tips to help avoid a grilling fire:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outside.
- Check the gas tank hose for any leaks before using it each year.
- Clean and check the grill regularly.
- If you smell gas while cooking, move away from the grill immediately and call the fire department.
- Remove flammable items from the grilling area.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grilling area while cooking.
- Do not leave the grill unattended while cooking.
- If using a charcoal grill, let coals cool completely before disposing in a metal container with a lid.
SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees: 856-566-3388. “Like it never even happened.”
Summer is Mold's Favorite Month!
With summer arriving (finally!), we at SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees wanted to remind everybody about the dangers of mold, as well as how to prevent mold growth. Summer temperatures and humidity levels are ideal conditions for mold to grow, so be prepared!
Mold grows well in temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees. The high temperatures, in combination with humid air, create the perfect conditions for mold to grow.
To prevent mold growth, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends keeping your indoor humidity level to below 50%. A dehumidifier or an air conditioner can be an effective way to keep humidity levels under control.
If you believe you might have a mold problem, call SERVPRO ® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees at 856-566-3388. We offer free inspections and estimates, as well as our state-of-the-art mold remediation services and professional staff. Give us a call and we will solve your mold problem “Like it never even happened.”
Forest Fire Safety Tips
A firefighter fights the Portugal forest fire
With the worst forest fire in Portugal’s history happening recently, it is unfortunately that time of year again in our area where forest fires are a threat. Here are some tips to stay safe during a forest fire and to prevent them from starting in the first place.
- Be sure to obey local laws when having a campfire or any open fire.
- Keep flammable objects away from any open fires.
- Make sure smoking materials are extinguished before disposing them.
- Avoid burning fires in windy conditions.
- Keep shovels, water, and fire retardant handy while burning a fire to keep it in check.
Safety during a Forest Fire:
- If advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Be sure to lock your home.
- Avoid evacuating through routes that run through the fire.
- Monitor changes in wind speed/direction.
- Alert someone that you have left and where you are going so that first responders know you are no longer in the residence.
SERVPRO® Haddon Heights/Vorhees: 856-566-3388
Summer Thunderstorm Information
As summer begins and the weather begins to heat up, it brings with it an increase in thunderstorms. Thunderstorms are most common in spring and summer due to the warm weather and humid conditions. When the hot air from the surface of the planet clashes with the cooler air up above, and therefore causes a thunderstorm.
Along with thunderstorms come a high rainfall total and thus a higher risk of flooding. Those living near bodies of water such as creeks or rivers should take notice of the water level prior to a storm. If it is getting high, it might be time to enact some flood mitigation techniques, such as redirecting flood waters with floodwalls and floodgates.
In addition to the flooding risk, thunderstorms bring lightning which has been known to spark fires in outside vegetation. Be sure to stay out of open fields during a thunderstorm so as to avoid being struck by lightning.
Finally, thunderstorms often bring high winds. Stay off the roads and try to identify any low hanging branches or trees that could potentially cause damage to your home if blown over. Prevention is the best form of protection.
SERVPRO® of Haddon Heights/Vorhees: 856-566-3388